The Anchor Pub & Thai Restaurant
Originally three 16th century alms houses and then a coaching inn, the Anchor is renowned as being the ‘mecca for all good cyclists’ in the late 1870’s. Many thousands would pass through Kingston each weekend on the way to Ripley. The Anchor became the favourite resting place of these cyclists with several hundred calling there. ‘The low-ceilinged, many-gabled former alms house appealed to the Metropolitan sense of what was old and quaint, but above all there was the warm and homely hospitality offered by Mrs Dibble’ and her daughter Annie.
They offered rooms for the weary traveller and on Sundays up to four hundred cyclists would be provided lunch in two sittings. The Dibbles started to collect the signatures of their guests and at their death twelve such volumes existed. Six of these are now held by the Surrey Historical Society. The hand pump which visitors used to use to wash and cool themselves can still be seen in the courtyard.
Under new ownership since January 2008, the new landlords at the Anchor are currently trying to restore to the pub some of the pictures and information from this era and wish to offer the modern visitor the same warm welcome as that of Mrs Dibble 130 years ago.
Now only a stone’s throw from the A3 from London to Portsmouth, the old and homely atmosphere of the building has attracted people to the Anchor for centuries. The exposed beams and cosy snugs provide a fun and friendly place to join a party or pass a Sunday afternoon reading the paper. The small central courtyard offers a delightful place to unwind on a fine day. English and Thai food can be eaten in the pub at lunchtime and our full Thai menu can be served here if the restaurant is full or if you prefer to eat in a more informal setting.